Amami

Amami
Amami Oshima, my new home

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pre-departure preparations

We are now about 2 hours away from the flight to Tokyo, and pre-departure preparations are complete! Yesterday July 22, the Group A pre-departure orientations were held for passport pick-up and last minute questions, but before that, I've been busy packing and deciding what to bring, while also spending time with family and friends.


First, many thanks to everyone who attended my Bon Voyage party, I'll miss you all!! <3

My bucket list had a few things on it (mostly food) and I got most of them done. I ate a ton of avocado and the best burger ever on Friday afternoon, all the pasta I could stomach from Buca di Beppo the week before, and a significant portion of delicious, cheap watermelon.

I attended my last day of state-side iaido training on Friday, July 15th. I'm glad I could spend some time with everyone who helped me on this path, and I will definitely continue to practice on my own in Japan (I am bringing my sword as my second checked bag).

On Sunday, July 17th, I went with a friend to play my first ever live room escape in LA. The room was based on the Zero Escape video game series, a game about...you guessed it, escape rooms. We didn't make it out before the time limit was up, but we were very, very close and got further than most groups. Solving each of the smaller puzzles that got us through each stage was Still, it was a ton of fun, and we met a bunch of other cool people.

It's a little sad leaving SoCal behind but there's an exciting adventure ahead of me!

 The pre-departure orientation on Friday began with document pick up and several talks about travel logistics. We also heard a talk by a former JET and prefecture advisor on the multidimensional aspects of culture.

Next stop: Narita!!


No comments:

Post a Comment