Amami

Amami
Amami Oshima, my new home

Saturday, January 9, 2016

About this blogger

ESID. It only makes sense to start a JET blog with that expression, the famous (in JET circles, anyway) acronym for something every participant comes to know firsthand: "every situation is different." Here's mine.

As of my JET application (submitted Nov 2015 for 2016 departure), I'm a fourth-year undergraduate from California, double-majoring in Genetics and Music. I do scientific research on specific fruit fly genes and I play the cello in the University orchestra. I also do some freelance woodworking on the side, and practice historical Japanese swordsmanship. More on that in the next post. Harry Potter fan (Ravenclaw), Doctor Who follower, classical music nerd. Used to watch a smattering of anime, but not much nowadays. I'm not particularly "genki," but enthusiasm for the stuff I like makes up for that. I very much dislike college parties. I very much enjoy my studies. Current abilities in Japanese: little to none.

I found out about JET when browsing study abroad options to Japan offered by my University, but none fit my needs at the time; as a senior studying two very different fields, I needed to stay in one place for the second half of my undergraduate career. I had a cello recital to perform as well as research presentations to give. Leaving, even if for just a quarter, was not an option.

So I applied to JET.

No comments:

Post a Comment