Amami

Amami
Amami Oshima, my new home

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Some Thoughts on the Application, pt 1: Everything but the SoP

Going into the application, I felt like a decent candidate on paper, in terms of qualifications. I had significant volunteer teaching experience, a few important Japan-related international experiences, leadership experience, and a whole bunch of extracurriculars. There were also a few things I didn't have: classroom teaching experience, Japanese language proficiency, TOEFL certification.

I found out about JET in Sept 2015, completed the application in Oct-Nov 2015, and sent it out a week before the (extended) deadline of Nov. 20.




On the ever-important placement (which really isn't that important) 

Because I had some specific ties to Japan (I met and received instruction from the headmaster of the historical sword style I study, see post Finding Japan) I asked for the city (1) and prefecture (2) in which the headquarters of the style is based, with the intention of using my placement there as an opportunity to strengthen the relationship between Japanese and American branches of the style. Cultural exchange! Yay! My third choice was the sister city (3) of my hometown.

Letters of Recommendation

I asked a former employer (the owner of the karate school at which I trained from age 6-18, and from age 12-18 taught younger students in group classes) and my research professor to write the letters. For me, these were the two people I felt knew me the best, personally and professionally, who could also say something substantial about my teaching experience and work ethic.

Now, I'm a big stickler for the application rules, because they are made to put every applicant in fair competition against the others. I DO NOT encourage potential applicants to read the letters they received, and especially DO NOT read them with the goal of giving "improvements" or "suggestions" to your references. Whatever information you can give ahead of time to your references (short of a pre-written letter) to aid them is good. There are plenty of online resources for how to get letters of rec, and I don't need to repeat them, but here is what I did. It is probably not the best option, but it worked for me:

- I wrote a short, one-paragraph summary of the JET Program, its goals, application structure, and key hiring characteristics.
- I copy/pasted the reference letter instructions from the application portal, highlighting key info.
- Gave the writers a deadline.
- Wrote a sentence telling each reference who the other reference was.
- Came up with a list: "Things I'd like your letter to focus on" for each reference writer.
- The list for the karate employer included teaching evals, personality with kids, etc.
- The list for my research adviser included work ethic, problem solving, adaptability, etc.
- A couple more paragraphs about me.
- A very gracious "Thank you for taking the time to write this letter for me" and a signature.

The 2016 app vs. the 2015 app

A few changes were made to the 2016 application process. A more comprehensive list of differences can probably be found on other blogs or JET info pages, but off the top of my head, here are a few. (Info is specific for USA. Perhaps handy for repeat applicants who were unsuccessful the first time around?)

  • Everything needed to be submitted online, as well as through mail. All important documents (transcripts, passports, proof of graduation, etc.) had to be scanned and uploaded to the application portal.
    • Exception: reference letters. If you wanted to, your references had the option of handing you their letter in a sealed envelope and signing across the flap, or they could submit their letter online through the application portal. (I heard that JET prefers the latter; this is NOT confirmed.) Our instructions this year were to do one or the other for each letter. I submitted one online letter and one physical letter and it was fine.
  • You no longer needed to send in duplicate application packets to the DC Embassy. Just one packet with everything paperclipped.
  • All communication with the embassy is done through the application portal's "JET Inbox." No more physical letters. Application's been received and processed? JET Inbox notification. Accepted for an interview? JET Inbox notification.

Final Thoughts

I'm writing this the day after we were informed of our interview status (I got one) so I know everything turned out all right. But at the time of course I was unsure of how strong my app was. I was worried that I didn't have enough international experience, especially on my own, adapting to a new environment. But I did put down a couple long-ish holiday trips to France and Japan, as well as my meetings with the sword style headmaster. They'll probably grill me in the interview about my lack of extended time away from America. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment