Amami

Amami
Amami Oshima, my new home

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Preparing for the Interview

Last Friday I met up with a friend and former JET for a practice interview. Originally I was going to try to book a mock interview with my school's career center, but in hindsight that wouldn't have helped as much as yesterday's meeting did, since the questions asked in the JET interview differ greatly from "normal" job interviews.

My answers are ok, and I don't fidget, which is good. On the other hand, I can come off as a bit stiff, but it's the kind of stiffness where it's difficult to answer interview questions in a way that doesn't make it seem like you're being interviewed.

I'm now trying to store a bank of ideas that would help me answer questions such as "what objects would you bring from home to teach your students about American culture?" and "act out a sample lesson for us." For the first question, I imagine that most people would think of American symbols first: flags, Statue of Liberty figurine, cowboy hats, etc. but those are just symbols, They don't really show someone what our culture is like. Moreover, a lot of what makes America America has already been exported across the globe - theme parks, fast food, baseball, (American) football, to name just a few.

Two weeks left.

No comments:

Post a Comment